Saturday, March 14, 2009

Eek!

We received lots of words of encouragement about doing taxes this year. Several married couples told us that we'd get lots of money back. We were very excited! Filing jointly would be fun! We'd giggle at the small amounts we had to declare ($11 interest from our savings account!).

So imagine our dismay when we learned this morning, after spending hours doing our taxes that this "saving money by filing together" rumor was. . . very untrue. The amount we owed the federal and state governments was disturbingly large. I had just gotten my checking account to a decent level and now this!

Eek!

3 comments:

  1. That happened to us when we first got married -- it was pretty terrible.

    The IRS does have payment plans. I think you can even arrange it on-line.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous3/14/2009

    I wanted to drop by to say thank you for your support in my Super Heavy Duty Post. I appreciate it greatly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. when we filed jointly, we owed too- tried to file seperately, but it would have worked out the same. only thing that "got"us money after being married? buying a house.

    ReplyDelete